Sunday, March 1, 2009

Elementary, my dear Watson.

I promise that this one will be a short post. It has to be. The last couple of days have been busy, what with all of the following taking place: wandering aimlessly around Kensington Market with an uncomfortable shoe on my right foot; watching several episodes of Battlestar Galactica; reading and writing grim fairy tales; having my teeth scraped by a dentist's chisel; working and studying; and hanging out with friends at the mother of all burger joints, Steer Inn.

What was I talking about? Oh, right. Keeping it short.

This is a post about Sherlock Holmes, and how he will affect my world.

The sleuth in a deerskin cap has come back from my childhood stories, and is set to re-enter my consciousness in two special ways. First, through Hollywood. After a year of reviving his public and professional image, Robert Downey Jr will be starring as the detective of Baker St. It's a film full of intriguing choices, from Downey Jr as Homes (which I think will work), to Guy Ritchie as the director (inspired... please let this be a return to form), to Jude Law as Watson. That last choice puzzled me until I actually thought about it; Watson isn't as incompetent in the novels as he's been portrayed on the silver screen. I can't wait for this movie.

Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr (sans deerskin cap).

In other Downey Jr news, did anyone else hear that he's in talks to get Mickey Rourke (the other big return-to-glory acting story of 2008) in on the action in Iron Man 2. I hope he faces off against Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury.

My other Sherlock point concerns a bookstore I never heard of until today. It's called Sleuth of Baker Street. It's small, independent, and it publishes a newsletter called The Merchant of Menace. If that's not enough to lure you into a bookstore not owned by Chapters/Indigo, I hear they also have those fabulous ladders-on-wheels that slide on their bookshelves. Fun, right? Check it out.

Now I'm checking out. This knave needs some rest. A good night to all, and thank you for reading.

Sincerely,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BSG. BSG. BSG. I dream of Starbuck. <3
When did you start watching ?

Errant Knave said...

About 2 weeks ago. Just finished Season 1. I'll admit it; I'm hooked. And I actually jumped in shock (SHOCK, I tell you) at the end of the season finale.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...