Wednesday, March 18, 2009

We deal in lead, friend.

I promised a more cheerful post, so this will have to do.

Exciting news! My band's album is ready! The band is called The New Confusions, and I should have a few things up and online by the end of the week so people can see and hear us. I'll blog the details, of course, but I don't want to spill all the beans just yet.

Less exciting (and kind of depressing, really) is an article I read in City Journal. It turns out that the US Congress passed a law in 2008 that would help regulate some hazards, like lead. Under that law, books made before 1985 can no longer be sold, and should be destroyed. Ridiculous, but true. Some booksellers (used, vintage) are paying the price. And do you think libraries are going to replace all their old books? Not bloody likely.

I think I'll take my favourite pre-1985 book (1984, perhaps?), and lick it. Just once. As a sign of protest. Actually, this remind me of my favourite quote from Steve McQueen in The Magnificent Seven. "We deal in lead, friend."


Now back to other matters.

I had a decent St Patrick's Day. It ended better than it started, and now I'm going to catch 5 blissful hours of Z's. I would like to take this opportunity to give a shout out to my sister who is working and living in Ireland, and whom I miss quite a bit. (Is it whom? I'm too tired to decide if that was the objective case. Oh, whatever.)

I wish everyone a shoefull of shamrock.

Sincerely,

3 comments:

bryesque said...

Whoa album! So I'm a month late, but still, congratulations! When can I get a copy?

Errant Knave said...

Thank you, thank you. Everyone can get copies when it's officially released... which is looking like May at the moment. Also, I would "follow" your blog, but I can't. It's either something to do with your settings, or I'm not tech-savvy. Could be the second one.

bryesque said...

May is soon! I'll be in Toronto mid-June, so I'll have to get my copy then.
I've played around with the blog a bit (even wrote my first, super-pointless entry), so maybe try now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...