Saturday, May 9, 2009

Start... and stop... and start again.

The rain is coming down in buckets today. Except when it isn't. First comes rain, then comes shine. It reminds me of my life so far. Start. Stop. Start. Stop. Study one thing in university, then do something totally different for a few years. Work in film for a bit, then abandon it for the old job. Study film for a bit, then study publishing. And don't even get me started on all the interruptions there have been in my talented but momentum-cursed band. I don't know which is more difficult: the ability to get the ball rolling, or keeping it rolling along.

Professionally, it's time to regroup once again. There's no point in wasting time and energy with being frustrated by the past. The old job is finished, and it's up to me to make my own opportunities. Sort of reminds me of an old proverb:

"The Lord helps those who help themselves."

On the other hand, this also reminds me of CCR:

"Someone told me long ago there's a calm before the storm,
I know; It's been coming for some time.
When it's over, so they say, it'll rain a sunny day.
I know; Shining down like water.

I want to know, have you ever seen the rain?
I want to know, have you ever seen the rain
Coming down on a sunny day?
"

Bless your heart, John Fogerty. And as I write this, the rain's started again. I think the thunder's trying to drown out Creedence, but it's not going to happen.

1 comment:

mel said...

truer words were never spoken. i too have the same disease. does this end of the old mean you're unemployed? :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...