Friday, August 21, 2009

How to promote your book. Maybe.

This week has unofficially been the week of The Guild. I can't wait for Season 3, and if you haven't watched this web-series yet, please do. Do you really need any other reason than the video for Do You Wanna Date My Avatar? I didn't think so.

While we're on the subject of videos, I've been watching book trailers lately. They're not exactly new, but publishers still don't know how to do them well. Books aren't a visual medium, so compatibility is problem number one. Other things to consider: Should the trailer be campy and low-fi? Should it be as glossy as Hollywood? Small publishers get the short end of the stick, because what do you do if you're a small publisher and you don't have money for a fancy production?

I believe the answer to all of this is creativity. You can have a slick production that is uninspiring, or something made on a basic computer program for free that is interesting. You can even use stick figures.

Of course, if you're a huge company like the American division of Random House, you can be creative AND slick. The book trailer for Libba Bray's Going Bovine is not on YouTube, so you'll just have to follow this link and watch it there. This trailer has Libba Bray going all out, and her craziness is perfect. If you have a book, and you want it to sell, this might be what you have to do. Libba Bray is embracing it, and that's a good thing.

I've been wanting to do some work like this for a while. Then again, I just like working on film stuff in general, especially low/no-budget stuff. I think the lack of money forces you to be creative.

Looking ahead: There will be precious little going on in the ways of creativity this weekend. I have a million things to do at home, a goodbye party, a wedding, and a welcome-back party to attend. I'll try to get some sleep somewhere in there. As the six-fingered man would say, if you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything. If anyone would know, it's Count Rugen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I very rarely watch the book trailers exactly for the reason you stated above. Have fun at the parties.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...