Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Favourites from 2009 (January, Part 2)

The new year is here, and it's already begun better than last year. For one thing, I have a job I enjoy. For another thing, there was no hangover. 2010 is bound to be another year full of learning experiences, especially with work. A year ago I didn't know anything about e-readers, e-pub formats, Twitter, the Google lawsuit, or anything at all work-related. I'd just finished acing a film history course, and I only took up publishing because screenplay and digital editing courses were full. Crazy, eh?

(About those e-readers: I won't buy one until they become affordable and until companies settle on one e-book file compatible across the different readers. Still, they're kind of neat, and I might try to borrow the Kindle at work.)

Let's take a quick look at 2009, the year that was.

Things I liked about '09:

-A re-dedication to drawing. The results are strictly amateur, but I can improve.

-Movies*, and seeing them in theatres.

-My boots. Shoes are shoes, right? That's what I thought. And then I got a good pair. The difference is phenomenal.

-Jim Nelson, the outspoken editor-in-chief of GQ.

-Following friends on blogs. It's added an extra dimension to getting to know people a bit better through their drawings, photography, and travels.

-My safety razor. When I forsake the beard and go clean-shaven, this is the way to go.

-Battlestar Galactica. TV shows take too long to watch, which is why I like it when a series is worth watching from start to finish. (About that finish, though...)

*Favourite movies: Inglourious Basterds, The Hangover, A Single Man, Away We Go, Up in the Air, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Up, Coraline, Star Trek, Sherlock Holmes, The Proposal, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, The Princess and the Frog, State of Play, and Julie and Julia. (Movies I'm still waiting to see: The Hurt Locker, Avatar, Zombieland, Moon, District 9, A Serious Man, The September Issue, The Informant!, Public Enemies, and I Love You, Man.)

Things I did not like about '09:

-Owing Revenue Canada money. Seriously? How did that happen? And why did I only find out before Christmas.
-Google. Ok, I'm neutral on Google, but it was/is something of a Big Brother in publishing. Their motto might be "Do no evil", but their not-so-gradual takeover of the world is a little worrisome. The upcoming settlement is going to cause trouble whichever way it goes. Appeals will drag. Meanwhile, Steve Jobs and Apple will wipe the floor with their new tablet.


Goals for 2010:
-Write more. 2009 was supposed to be the year that I finished my novel. Instead, I pulled it apart (three times), and put it aside. I'm writing another story. Will I stick to Story B, go back to Story A, or do something completely different? I'll keep you posted.
-Improve photography skills, specifically the ones needed in a studio.
-Make a short live-action or stop-motion film I'm proud of. I'll settle for a short film I'm not embarrassed of.
-Improve this blog.
-Compile a decent visual arts portfolio.
-Complete a marathon and a bike race.
-Play shows with a new band (or the old one, if circumstances allow).
-Start shopping for a house.
-Take a picture of (or with) the Loch Ness monster.
-Pay it forward.

That's all I can think of. It looks like more than enough for now. I need to start writing.

2 comments:

mel said...

i completely agree with your comment about getting to know people through blogs. i love it.
and if i might add a recommendation to your 2009 movie list: 500 days of summer. its not perfect, but it was really enjoyable, and had excellent transitions. the key to me heart.
and see district 9 sooner rather than later. it's really well done.

Errant Knave said...

Ah yes, I heard good things about 500 Days of Summer. Will check it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...