Saturday, October 9, 2010

We interrupt this long weekend...

This was supposed to be a carefree long weekend where I could get caught up on my To Do list. It's in the middle of getting derailed, but such is life. Anyway, here are a few things that have kept me sane in recent days. May you find them interesting in some way as well.
+ The Wheel of Time: 23 more days until Towers of Midnight comes out. Guess who's excited? Read Chapter 1 right here. And if you feel like playing guessing games without a single spoiler, you can read Leigh Butler's preview here. Have you guessed who's excited yet? I reviewed The Gathering Storm almost a year ago, and I remember loving that book with only a few reservations. I think I'm going to re-read it before ToM comes out, and see if my original feelings hold true.

+ Speaking of stuff coming out soon, Part 1 of the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows film comes out in a little over a month. On the heels of the delay for HP6, I was more than a little peeved at the decision to split number 7 in two. Loyalists, I am just as enthusiastic an HP fan as you, but skip to the next paragraph if you get easily upset: it's a cash grab. I'm sure it will be amazing, and we'll all be so much happier that there are three more hours of wizarding battles to watch*, and we'll all be able to die happily after seeing Part 2, but it's still a cash grab. Warner Bros. is extending the series because it can. You, me, and almost everyone we know just going along with that only proves that point. But here's something cool anyway: a spreadsheet plot written out by JK Rowling, a name that rhymes with bowling. Pretty neat.

*After using different directors for three of the first four movies, the producers have stuck with the same man for 5, 6, 7a, and 7b. The film-to-film transition is now more even, but also predictable. Would have liked to see another Alfonso Cuaron spice things up.]

**I am aware that I practically squee every time I mention the Wheel of Time, a series that will only wrap up after fourteen books. Fourteen. Let's see, I bought six brand new in hardcover, plus a few more in paperback, plus some used hardcovers...

+ As long as we're on the subject of cash grabs, Snooki has a book deal. The news is a week or two old by this point, but this about sums up how I still feel about the situation. (Not to be confused with how I feel about The Situation.)


+ Last but not least, from @sesamestreet: Look at yourself. Now back to Grover. Now back at yourself. Now back to Grover. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...