Saturday, June 11, 2011

Drove my Chevy to the Levee

True story: I actually drive a Chevy. Another true story: It is ridiculously complicated to change the headlamp because of the way it's encased. Aren't you glad you know this now? Quite.

Good day, y'all. It's kind of cold for June in these parts, but it's been a loopy week anyway. There's been record heat, and the loudest, craziest thunderstorm of my life. We lost power and everything. I was driving through hail, and my car hates me because of that.

Why am I saying this? Because, as much as I love the rain, I'd also love to be soaking up the sun on a beach in Italy, or somewhere I haven't been, which is pretty much anywhere else. Here's hoping the current weather clears up, and we can go back to summery weather. In the meantime, here are some links.

-   Unreal. Video of the week. Hands down. In case you want to read about the story, check it out. But really, watch this video. It's one take of pure goodness.



-   I admit that I've been guilty from time to time of wanting my heroes (be they literary, musical, film-based, etc.) to be moral, upstanding people, or even just nice people. Such is not always the case, and then their work is ruined for me. For example, there was a band I used to love, until my band played with them and they were a bunch of jerks. That brings me to another article, about when bad people write great books. (Dickens was cruel to his wife?! Noooo!)

By the way, V.S. Naipaul sounds like the tooliest tool who ever tooled.

And if you want to skip the article but get the gist, here's a (large) quote:
"...most people, are a mixture of the reprehensible and the admirable. Our own personal lives require that we learn to love people flaws and all. When you idealize someone, you can't truly know him or her, and that makes real, adult love impossible.

"Most people begin figuring out how to do this in their teens. It's not an easy transition. Suddenly, every bad quality in our parents -- people who were like gods to us as children -- becomes a glaring, intolerable betrayal. They must be repudiated! We don't realize until years later that this is the first step on the long road to seeing our parents as they really are and forgiving them for being human.

"Similarly, needing to believe that your favorite author lived in an exemplary way, embodying all the virtues of his best work, is an adolescent desire, passionate but ultimately unfair. Learning the truth is disillusioning at first, but enlightening in the end. Part of the sadly underrated process of growing up is realizing that people, the world and life are no less beautiful and amazing for being imperfect."

-   In this week's surprising relationship news, commuting 45 minutes or more to work dramatically increases your chance of divorce.

-   Online flirting: Is it out of hand? Just how many real and emotional cheaters are out there, anyway? "If you have a partner, why would you sext someone else? Isn't it cheating your partner of the fun and sex play you could be enjoying?"I read that somewhere and thought it was valid, but I don't remember the source. Anyway, here's How Facebook Has Changed Sex.

-   Speaking of Zuckerberg Productions, Facebook has changed your settings. Again. Here's how to unchange them. Although it's possible that some settings haven't been changed yet. For example, mine says the feature is still unavailable.

-   See how they shot Sonny on the causeway. Behind-the-scenes photos from classic films. Way cool.

-   Aww... Just after I discovered the game, too. Mad Libs inventor dies of______ while ______ his _____ in the ______. This also taught me that people still use Yahoo.

-   I don't want to spoil this, but there's a surprise at the end of the carpet.

-   Song of the Week: Before we get to it, let me preface it a little bit. I happen to really love the movie The Blues Brothers. It's a childhood thing. I think Jake and Elwood have some great adventures, and plus, they get to run into Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, and more. Speaking of Ray, the Shake Your Tailfeather scene in his music store absolutely rocks, and for me ranks as one of the best scenes in the movie, right up there with singing Think in Aretha's cafe.

Why am I saying all this? Well, because this week's song happens to be catchy enough on its own, but it also pays homage to Ray's Music Store and the song and dance scene that takes place there. So, without further ado, here are former teeny-mmmboppers, Hanson, with Thinkin' 'Bout Somethin'


They grew up nicely, didn't they? Quite. I hope you enjoyed that. And you watched the American Pie video, right? Right? Good. Now go enjoy your weekend. See you next time.

1 comment:

ibeeeg said...

Fun Hanson video. Actually, I think their music is fun overall, and tend to always enjoy listening to their stuff. But, when I think of Hanson, my mind immediately goes to their "teeny-mmmboppers" years. Can't shake that thought. We do own one of their albums, and an album that we love. It is their Christmas album; tons of fun,and is probably our favorite of all the Christmas albums we own. It is played over and over again during the season. How many times can I refer to them as 'fun'? hmmm...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...