I'm designing a graphic novel, and when it's out (October?), I'd like all of you to read it. This is purely for selfish reasons, because it's my payoff. The author-illustrator will rightfully get the glory, and I'll get to say, "Yeah, I put in the words and stuff. Look at that kerning. And those ligatures!"
I'm also working on a Weather Trivia calendar, and my co-worker thought he'd make me this to promote the calendar. Is he doing it right?
- I'm going to go out on a limb and say that of the many engagement photo sessions I've seen, this is the funniest I've seen in quite some time. Maybe* ever.
*I say maybe because, well, I'm a bit more traditional. I love the shots, but would I want it for my photos? No. Sorry.
- Something here will blow your mind. For example, did you know that a strawberry isn't a berry, but a banana is? I knew the first part of that, but not the second.
- A Game of Thrones gets an honest book review. It's a different definition of honest, but there it is. You should really read this book.
- This is what Michael Caine sounds like:
- A few weeks ago, I had the 30 Harshest Author-on-Author Insults. This week, we have the 30 Harshest Musician-on-Musician Insults. I'd say that aside from the Eric Clapton one (too far, man, too far), they're rather on the tame side. I know that Blur and Oasis have said worse about each other. I know that Eminem has said things about Insane clown posse that might make my tongue shrivel if I were to repeat them out loud. And I know for a fact that I've said some pretty harsh things about other bands that mine despised. (Whatever. It comes with the territory. I will call your singer an a**hole if I think he's an a**hole. It's been my experience that way too many singers are a**holes. It also seems to go with the territory. I can accept it.) (Note: In addition to playing guitar, I was the singer, too.)
Not surprisingly, Noel Gallagher features on this list a couple of times:
17. Noel Gallagher on Kaiser Chiefs
“They play dress-up and sit on top of an apex of meaninglessness. They don’t mean anything to anybody apart from their fucking ugly girlfriends.”
14. Noel Gallagher on Jack White
“He looks like Zorro on doughnuts.”
(FYI, Noel's sentiments should not be taken to reflect my own.)
- Twilight gets a lot of guff, and it's usually well-deserved. For all that millions of people have bought and read the books, it seems there are even more people willing to slam the book and its readers. Why this series creates such strong and polarizing opinions is a debate for another time, but for now let me direct you to one of the more amusing take-downs of Stephanie Meyer's *ahem* literature. All Four Twilight Books in One Minute. And all I have to say to that is: Pretty much.
- Artist of the week: Casey Burns first came to my attention because of some really cool band posters in the equally cool collection of said posters, Gig Posters: Rock Show Art of the 21st Century. Making gig posters was something I had to do in my band days, but they were nowhere near as good as Burns's work, or really the work of anyone in the book. It is my hope that I'll get a chance to do some poster art in the near future. In the meantime, check out the work on his website. I love his ink drawings.
- Song of the Week:
Well, here we go again. No song. It wasn't for lack of trying, but I'm writing this post early because I have a full weekend coming up. If you have musical suggestions, let me know. Otherwise, tune in next week.
Looking for something else to do? Try this bit of a time-waster, called Sticky Thing.
Pretty Pictures Failing
13 hours ago