Saturday, August 13, 2011

What's new, Pussycat?

I thought about Rick-rolling you,
but decided this was better.
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
To.
To who?
To whom.

Thanks, I'm here all week. Try the pasta alla carbonara. It's delizioso.
-   Amidst the hell of the recent London riots, the story of the wounded and bleeding student getting robbed by "Good Samaritans" was particularly ugly. On Thursday, Mohammad Asyraf Haziq, 20, spoke about his ordeal.

-   On a lighter and more irreverent note, looters gonna loot.*

*FYI, the girl is from the Bubbles Girl meme.

-   US military scientists lost contact with their unmanned hypersonic aircraft within minutes of takeoff. They presume it self-detonated and landed in the Pacific Ocean, "as planned." Ok. Whatever.

Wait, it's hypersonic? It travels at Mach 20? It is designed to fly 13,000 mph? Ok, I'm listening. Considering the curcumference of the Earth at its widest point is 24,902 miles, that is really, really fast. On the scary side, this aircraft could hit a target anywhere in the world in an hour, if successful.

These are raspberries, not strawberries
-   Sammi "Sweetheart" Giancola didn't know what raspberries were. No, I can't link you to it. You'll have to take my word for it. It's one thing not to know the difference between Florence and Rome, or Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo. It's another thing altogether and ask what those "weird looking strawberry things" are.

-   I feel I should share this with you because you're probably in need of a laugh. Who isn't? But... before you watch this, you should familiarize yourself with What's New, Pussycat and It's Not Unusual by Tom Jones. Or just skip straight to the comedy.


-   There's a face in the clouds. No, really. Our brains associate shapes with images we're familiar with (erm, there's research about this, but I'm a little pressed for time, so... trust me?), but this actually looks like a face. Creeeepy.

The "face" appears around 1:20.


Transition, by Yuta Onoda
-   Artist of the Week: This is one of my favourites. Yuta Onoda is a fabulous artist who has been on my radar for a couple of years now. He illustrates books and magazines, and perhaps you've already seen his eastern-influenced work somewhere. You can also check out his blog.

-   Song of the Week: Steve Urkel, you're all grown up. I guess we should call you Jaleel White now. Here you are, swing, dancing, and lip-syncing away in this bright, beautiful video, filled with preppy duds and 50s dress. It almost overshadow's Cee Lo Green's song. Almost. Because while Cry Baby may not be as gleeful as F*** You, it is another brilliantly upbeat song about a downer of a subject.


Bonus track: Weezer covers Pumped Up Kicks, by Foster the People. As if the song didn't sound summery enough, the most summery band since the Beach Boys decided to try their hand at it.

***

I can't tell you how loud I laughed when I heard that knock-knock joke, because then you'd think I was a nerd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Knock Knock: Who's there? Orange.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...