Monday, July 18, 2011
- So, where did I go for a few days? New Orleans, Louisiana, on the lovely Mississippi. Here are some things I learned about the place:
-It is hot, and muggy in the summer. I got used to it after a bit, though, and there's air conditioning everywhere.
-If you're going to have seafood anywhere, N'Awlins is a good place to go for it.
-The French Quarter is filled with old, beautiful buildings, bars, cafés (try the beignets at the Café du Monde), and live music any time, everywhere.
-Bourbon Street is a seedy place, especially at night, and I'm not sure how flashing breasts in exchange for cheap beads is either dignified or respectful.
-Walk with a friend at night. Better yet, a posse.
-Swamp tours are fun. Bring water and sunscreen on hot, sunny days.
-There's a restaurant in the French Quarter called Irene's. It is excellent. Irene used to be married to Tommy. They split, and he opened a restaurant called Tommy's outside of the French Quarter. They are almost exactly the same, except Irene's is better in every way.
- Who saw Harry Potter and the Ultimate Ending over the weekend? I'm re-watching the earlier movies first, with two to go. I will check the new one out soon. Was it good? Was it 97% good?
- Mark Twain fans, look away. Jane Austen fans, get a little closer. People who are fans of both, you can stay as well. See, someone--we don't know who--just paid $1.6 million for Austen's unpublished manuscript, "The Watsons." Despite the value of US greenbacks being lower than Canadian Monopoly money at the moment, that's still a lot of dough for a manuscript that's only about a quarter of a finished book. Either someone's an ardent fan, or someone's going to fill in that 75% with zombies, or sea monsters, or werewolves. I think we can all agree that Option #2 would have a more kick-ass trailer.
- Despite having a man-crush on Dave Grohl, I'm not actually a huge Foo Fighters fan, so it's just coincidence that they've featured in my posts a few times in recent weeks. This week, we get a glimpse of how to get thrown out of a Foo Fighters concert by Dave Grohl. F-bombs like you wouldn't believe:
- Even the Giants looks like a bizarre, gorgeous graphic novel. It's a little grotesque, too, which is just one of the things I like about it. You can see for yourself if you download a preview.
- I'm reading A Dance with Dragons, and so far, it was worth the wait. I really missed some characters. Post a spoiler in the comments and I will put the pin-sticking, voodoo-doll* tricks I learned in New Orleans to immediate use.
*Not really, because voodoo dolls are a myth invented by Hollywood. I got this on good account from a real voodoo witchdoctor.
- Fun fact I learned this week: That pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs? It has a name: Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR). Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. (Thank you for that, Elizabeth.)
- Hee hee... it's A Song of Ice and Lego. It is very well done. Gregor looks huge, Jon is emo, and even Hodor makes an appearance.
- If that isn't enough Lego for you, how about some Firefly/Serenity?* Captain Tight Pants and his crew are big damn heroes.
*Have you not seen Firefly?! Go out and buy yourself the best half-season of TV ever. I will brook no argument. You can thank me later.
- Song of the Week-and-a-bit: Zippo. Nothing new impressed me this week. Bands, musicians, artists: I find your current output lacking. You have five days to right the situation.
That is all. Have a good week. Me, I'm going to start this work-week with enthusiasm. Hurray!